Are you craving chocolate?
I’m a big believer in balance, and I LOVE chocolate. It’s one reason why I include recipes for healthy chocolate desserts in my 30 Day Sugar Detox online course. I wouldn’t want to live without it, and I don’t think you should either!
So here are my 3 fixes for when I’m craving chocolate.
My Quick Chocolate Fix
I keep a small bar of dark chocolate stashed away for emergencies and when I simply can’t resist any longer, I break off 1 chunk and let it melt delightfully on my tongue. Yummy! Eating mindfully makes the experience last longer, sending happy hormones surging through your body.
My Early Morning Chocolate Fix
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
The raw cocoa in this treat is packed with magnesium, iron and manganese and despite it’s light and fluffy texture, this is a really filling pudding. Serve on its own, or I like to layer it with some plain yoghurt and berries – perfect for a dessert, or even for breakfast!
- 1 avocado, halved, peeled and pitted
- ½ banana
- 1-2 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almond or cashew butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste or powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon xylitol (optional)
- A little water or coconut milk to achieve desired consistency
Add everything to the blender except the cocoa powder and water. Blend until smooth. Slowly add the cocoa powder, then the milk to achieve a nice moussey texture. Put in the fridge to set for 15 minutes, or eat straight away! Serve with some toasted or raw nuts, a bit of unsweetened dessicated coconut or some fresh berries.
My Ultimate Chocolate Fix
Chocolate Banana Loaf
This is a recipe you can use once you’ve finished your first 30 days sugar detox – think of it as your reward for a detox well done! The reason I don’t recommend it during the first 30 days is because it uses 125g of Xylitol, a natural sugar replacement, as well as 2 bananas… although these are natural sweeteners, we don’t want to stimulate your sweet tooth in the first 30 days.
- 125g Xylitol Total Sweet sugar
- 2 bananas
- 150g butter (room temp) (you could use coconut oil instead if you’re off dairy)
- 3 eggs
- 200g Gluten Free self raising flour (you could use regular white flour, or half wholemeal and white)
- 4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder, or raw cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75ml milk/unsweetened almond milk/Koko milk/oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Half teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 heaped tablespoons of ground flaxseed (linseed).
Put the sugar, bananas and butter in a blender and blitz until smooth. Add in eggs one by one, then add in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
Then add in the milk, vanilla and cinnamon, and mix together well.
Finally sprinkle in the ground flaxseed and give a last quick pulse, but don’t overwork it.
Pour the mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin, and cook at 180C for about 45 minutes.
Check it’s done when a skewer goes in and comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and serve.
So there you have it! Use these simple recipes to calm your sugar cravings and ensure you don’t fall off the healthy eating wagon!
Still want MORE chocolate… not a problem. Take a look at my