This is such a popular recipe with my clients, and a brilliantly simple yet tasty way to get more greens in your diet.
Massaged Kale Super Salad with Turmeric Chicken
The reason I love this recipe is because it’s so tasty and really simple. I also love adding turmeric to as many different dishes as I can, because it’s such a superfood and great for supporting liver detoxification and reducing inflammation. I add half a teaspoon to scrambled eggs, a teaspoon to soups and even a pinch in my smoothies! Always buy organic turmeric where possible.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the salad:
- 2 large handfuls of washed, organic kale
- 1 small courgette
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 olives
- 2 anchovies
- Sea salt/Himalayan crystal salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Small handful cherry tomatoes plus some shavings of parmesan
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- Good squeeze of lemon juice and some large pieces of lemon rind (left over from above)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dried oregano – about half teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons of plain, natural yoghurt (optional)
- Butterfly the chicken (slice the breast in half through the centre to make it thinner, or slices into thinner strips).
- In a bowl mix the rest of the ingredients together. Add in the chicken breast and leave to marinade.
- Put your kale on a chopping board and remove the thick middle strips. Discard.
- Chop the kale roughly.
- Take a potato peeler and finely slice the courgette into ribbons. Add to the kale.
- Finely grate over the garlic cloves, roughly chop the anchovies and olives and throw in.
- Add the olive oil, seasoning and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Chop it all through, then put down your knife and start to massage your kale. Do this for about 2 minutes or until the kale is glossy and has reduced in volume by about 50%.
- Check the seasoning.
- Chop the tomatoes in half, and mix in. Sprinkle over a few parmesan shavings if you’re using them.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil or coconut oil in a saucepan on a medium heat. Sautee your chicken for about 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through (you can test by cutting a piece of chicken in half and chicken inside).
- Serve your chicken on your massage kale and enjoy!
For more recipes and to see my video on massaging Kale, ‘Like’ me on Facebook – The Family Nutrition Expert
Have you signed up to my newsletter yet? To receive my latest blog posts, tips and recipes, sign up to my newsletter here.