Nutrition and what you eat as a cancer patient can help to support your immune system as well as your overall health. I recently did another series of cancer nutrition workshops for The Big C, and it was wonderful to show people how to use simple ingredients to support optimal nutrient intake.
Here’s one of my favourite recipes, super simple crust-less quiche egg muffins. You can also find out about my top 5 cancer fighting foods and how to use them in my blog posthere.
Super Simple Crust-Less Quiche Muffins
This is a wonderful recipe – so simple to make and really tasty! I don’t add any salt, as you have plenty of flavour from the ham. You could also use any leftover meat such as turkey or chicken slices, or simply make it without (then you might need to add a bit of salt for seasoning). I advise people not to use too much processed meat, so make sure you get a good quality ham, preferably from the carvery. The addition of leftover veg is a great way to get extra superfood ingredients in!
If you’re trying to gain weight, then use full fat creme-fraiche, cream cheese or a bit of organic cream for added calories.
Ingredients – makes about 16
- 8 eggs
- Olive oil
- 8 thin slices of lean ham, chicken or turkey
- half teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons of Quark
- Leftover cooked vegetables – chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Small bunch of chives, chopped
- Dip some kitchen roll into the olive oil, and wipe inside the muffin trays
- Line each muffin tray with the slices of ham, and drop the chopped cooked vegetables into the bottom.
- Beat your eggs with the quark. Add the freshly ground pepper, turmeric and chives.
- Pour the egg mixture into the muffin trays.
- Bake at about 180C for about 15 minutes, until the muffins have risen and the tops are golden.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Lovely served with salad for a main meal, or ideal as a snack!